Vote for ArcInfo and/or ArcView for Linux

Andrew M McDermott mcdermam at potsdam.edu
Thu Dec 10 06:37:58 EST 1998

At 04:22 PM 12/8/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I got tons of email regarding my recent posting promoting ports of
>ESRI software to Linux.  Indeed, I have gotten so much that I'm not
>able to respond to it all.  I do want to thank people for the advice
>and encouragement.  It is very helpful.
>
>After reading all the responses and responding to many or most of them
>personally, I feel a few of them require a general response.  I got
>questions and comments like:
>
>> That is about the stupidest damn thing I have ever heard....
>> If someone is unhappy with Arc on NT then their NT isn't setup right.
>> Linux is a perfectly acceptable operating system for inexperienced hacks
>> to run FTP servers out of their house, it has no place in the
>professional
>> world.
>
>> ok, i know the pricing policy for UX+NT, but i was interested
>> in LINUX license prices for AI/AV... !?
>
>> I was wondering, WHY should we vote to port ESRI software to Linux? I
>use NT
>> and haven't had any problems? Give us a top 5 list of reasons
>> why, or something to support your request.....
>> Subject:                Vote for ArcInfo and/or ArcView for Linux
>> Send reply to:          grass at cecer.army.mil
>
>My response follows:
>
>(1)  Reasons to port ESRI software to Linux
>
>     (a)  Managers want something cheaper and more flexible than
>          proprietary Unix workstations.  They prefer standard PC
>          hardware.  However, many users still prefer Unix.
>          Linux is a suitable compromise.
>     (b)  A port to Linux would prove ESRI's commitment to Unix.
>          ESRI says they are committed to Unix; but no one believes
>          them, and this makes it difficult to convince management
>          to purchase new Unix workstations.  A Linux port would
>          make it easier to buy Suns, SGIs, etc.
>     (c)  System administrators want something which is easy to
>          integrate with the existing Unix workstations and servers.
>          At the very least, every workstation (Unix or Windows)
>          should be able to mount disks from any other workstation.
>          Ideally, workstations with expensive specialized hardware
>          and/or software should support remote usage via telnet or
>          something like telnet.  Windows lacks telnet services,
>          and proprietary Unix can not mount Windows disks.
>          Linux has all telnet (client&server) services and can mount
>          or serve nfs and smb filesystems.  This makes it uniquely
>          useful in integrating Windows with proprietary Unix systems.
>     (d)  Programmers want to create new software rather instead
>          of rewriting existing software.  Programmers who have
>          written AMLs which shell out to use Unix commands
>          would find the faster to port to Arc on Linux than Arc
>          on Windows.  Moreover, many programmers want to continue
>          using classical tools like Fortran, C, make, m4, rcs, and
>          emacs to create software; and they want to continue writing
>          software which uses perl, tcl/tk, and other unix shell
>          commands.  Most of these tools exist for NT, but they are
>          a pain to get working under NT.
> [...]
I have learned everything I know about computers (essentially) within the
last two and one half years. I began with DOS/Windows because it was the
only game in town (let's leave Macs out of this for now). LINUX was an
accident, a casual mention by a friend as something I might find of
interest (1 1/2 years ago).  I am now skilled in network administration at
LAN and internet levels, I am scripting in two or three languages AND
running database applications both locally and on the web, I am configuring
nameservers and http daemons, porting simple script and program suites from
SunOS to LINUX (and Win 95) etc etc etc. I am comfortable at an advanced
user level in three architectures and 5 OS's. Without LINUX this would have
been impossible to accomplish, especially in such a short time frame
without any real help beyond the support system online for LINUX.

Keep up the good work and the advocacy. I