ltplus problems

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Fri Nov 20 20:42:29 EST 1998

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Christian Kernbach wrote:

> Dear grass-users,
>
> it is gone some time that Markus put a binary of LTPlus for LINUX on the
> net. I´m dealing with it now. I have following problem:
>
> LTPlus starts without any problems. I can select every menu.
> But when I try to create a new map(after type in the new name and
> confirmation) LTPLus  crash after 1-2 seconds.
>
> Is here anyone on the list who uses LTPlus successful on a LINUX system?
> Any hint?

I posted to this list on LTPLus a couple weeks ago.  I'm not at all sure
it make it's way to the list, as I have gotten the normal number of

In any case, I said:

    (1)  The version of LTPlus in GRASS is quite dated and lacks features.
         Moreover, this version used a very inefficient way of
         implementing X-Windows in it.  This is a serious problem,
         because LTPlus's big highlight is it's speed and efficiency.

    (2)  The last Free (Open Source) version of LTPlus was 2.36 which
         John Dabritz and Tru Phan completed in about 1991??  This version
         ran in SVGA mode of SCO Unix.

    (3)  After this, Dan Haskell wrote a version for Intel/Linux
         using SVGA graphics.  It was fast and efficient and inexpensive,
         but not Open Source.  He no longer markets it.  I am talking
         to him about making this Open Source, but ...

    (4)  After completing LTPlus 2.36, John and Tru created a proprietary
         version of LTPlus which ran on X-Windows quite efficently.
         I do not know what happened to the product, but I'm going
         to see if the owners will make it Open Source (or at least
         make an affordable Linux version available).

                                                     Sincerely,
                                                     David Mandel

                             An Invitation
              *** Linux NorthWest Conference and Expo ***
 April 6-7, 1999 - Oregon Convention Center - http://LinuxNorthwest.org
                   Linux for home, school, and office
 Internet and LAN servers, office automation, data base management, GIS
                             and much more