lock program in grass4.2 - "file not found" even though it's there

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Apr 27 11:30:46 EDT 1999

Hi Venkatesh!

Thank you - you are very right!

> Hi Markus,
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > libc.so.5 based systems are: Redhat 4.x, SuSe 5.x, COL 1.3 (Caldera)
> >     -> go for GRASS 4.2.1 (V.21) or newer distributions
>
> That should  read GRASS 4.2.1 (V.20), isn't it?

Yes! To bad, this copy/paste function without auto-correction.

> > Or you compile the source code yourself, then you avoid the
> > problem.
> >

> If one is compiling from source on libc.so.5 based systems the
> CURSES              = -lncurses $(TERMLIB)
> line in the "../src421/src/CMD/head/linux" file also needs to
> be edited as below;
>
> CURSES              = -lcurses $(TERMLIB)
>
> since libc.so.5 based systems normally curses instead of ncurses.
> I just compiled from the source file but needed to make the above
> change on my libc.so.5 based system.
>
> Venkatesh Raghavan

On my former SuSe5.3 Linux I had to use a special version of libcurses.
The preinstalled libcurses caused problems. People having this problem
can get this special libcurses library from GRASS 4.2.1 FAQ page.

I expect that all this library confusion shall disappear soon when
all people have upgraded their Linux.

I hope the GRASS installation pages for Linux are more clearly now
concerning libc.so.5 and libc.so.6. Perhaps I can get some feedback?
All suggestions are welcome!

Markus Neteler