arcview-dbase files ---> grass4.2

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Dec 14 04:18:54 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Antonio [iso-8859-1] Rodríguez Verdugo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started a project that has a lot of arcinfo coverages (.e00
> type) that I have succesfully imported into Grass4.2 with m.in.e00. A very
> easy task. But, besides this, I have some Arcview's views and a lot of
> dbase tables with the attributes to use with the coverages. Has anybody
> some experience translating this kind of files to Grass?

Hi Antonio,

the v.in.shape in GRASS 5 reads the attributes from Dbase tables
related to a shape file. The 4.x version doesn't.
What you can do:
 - get the GRASS 5 source code, take out v.in.shape and
   compile within 4.2.1
 - get the GRASS 5 linux/Solaris binaries, take out
    bin/v.in.shape
    etc/bin/contrib/cmd/v.in.shape
   and copy it to 4.x
 - if still required, write me personally and I will send you
   the v.in.shape package.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler