GRASS 5.0 beta2 Released!

Andrew M McDermott mcdermam at potsdam.edu
Mon Jul 26 15:45:09 EDT 1999

"B. Byars" wrote:

> GRASS community,
>
> We have just released a new beta package of GRASS
> (grass5.0beta2).  This package replaces the older 5.0 beta package you
> are all presently using.  It is available as source and selected
> binaries at keck.baylor.edu and the hannover ftp sites.  Note:  Other
> sites may not be current!
>
> Major enhancements include:
>
> *  Lots of bigfixes!
> *  New configure script ... GISGEN and Gmake are optional.
>    Just configure and make install and go!
> *  New tcltk GRASS interface!
>
> The source is available now in the directory
> /pub/grass/grass5.0beta2/source on keck and via http and
> ftp from uni-hannover.de
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bruce
Linux Slackware version 4 kernel 2.2.6
i686-pc-linux-gnuglibc1

configure --prefix=/usr/local/grass5 --with-SYSV --with-USE_TERMIO

time: 35 minutes or so on PII 233 MHz 64Meg RAM

Results: /src/paint/Interface and /src/paint/Drivers
/src/paint/Drivers/preview(/preview2)
and /src/raster/r.binfer failed with Error 1 (something about no such
file referring to lib.a)

Otherwise simple and the program seems to be running. I have created a
location and imported a sites file.

The new configure setup is very simple and seems to work very well.

Thanks (from a frustrated 4.2 and 5.0beta person).