Sid images

R. Joe Brandon rjoe at cast.uark.edu
Thu May 6 21:58:33 EDT 1999

Frank,

I am not sure exactly how ESRI has it set up, but I am told that it
allows the Mr.sid wavelet/raster to be layed in the image plane then vectors
can be layed over it.  You are right that the r.in.mrsid would amount to
nothing more than a tif image.  Viewer was a bad word for it as they already
ship a stand alone viewer for just viewing the images (I have not checked
lately to see if there is a Linux port of this).

R. Joe

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> "R. Joe Brandon" wrote:
> > The bottom line is anyone up to the challenge of building a viewer for
> > GRASS?  Just check out there site and put a query into the contact, I do
> > know as of fall 98 they were interested in having folks develop a viewer
> > for GRASS.
>
> Joe,
>
> I have developed an OGDI driver in the past on top of the MrSID API.  The
> API is easy to use.  However, I am not sure what you mean by ``develop
> a viewer for GRASS''.  Do you mean a free standing viewer, distinct from
> the normal monitor architecture?  Do you mean a r.in.mrsid command?  I don't
> think I would be up to a viewer, though if there is an easy way to plug
> additional image formats into the existing viewer, I might be willing to
> do that.  An r.in.mrsid command kind of misses the primary value of the
> MrSID format.
>
> >From what I have seen, Lizardtech put alot of restrictions on the
> redistribution of their DLLs, but they might be OK with this purpose.
>
> Later,

> I set the clouds in motion - turned up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerda at home.com
> light and sound - activate the windows | http://members.home.com/warmerda

R. Joe Brandon
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies           (fax) 501 575-5218
Rm. 12 Ozark Hall                                        501 575-4277
University of Arkansas                             rjoe at cast.uark.edu
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Partially restored -> http://www.cast.uark.edu/~rjoe