v.support fails on DIGITAL UNIX

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Oct 17 14:51:22 EDT 1999

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Luca Palmeri wrote:

> Hello,
>             I have compiled Grass 5b3 on an alpha with
> digital unix. The compilation has been a little difficult
> and took me a whole day, editing the scripts and the
> code in many points.
> If developers are interested I can send the complete
> log of changes I made. The most relevant, al least I
> think, is that I had to delete in many places the prototype
> of  the free() call due to the complaints of the gcc
> compiler about the redefinition.
Yes! I suggest to contact Bill Hughes on that as he
is owning/using an ALPHA machine.

> No problem with raster files, But when i go working
> with vector files strange things happen:
>    Initializing [ds] ... Vector format version (4.706) is not known by this
> release.  EXITING
>    Try running v.support to reformat the dig_plus file
> It seems like if GRASS does not recognize anymore the
> vector files build under linux.
> any suggestion ?

Sorry for this! It is already *fixed* for the next GRASS 5beta4 to
come very soon. To fix this:

- src/mapdev/diglib/portable.h
  3c3
  < #define LNG_SIZ  8
  ---
  > #define LNG_SIZ  4
  The value of LNG_SIZ in portable.h was OK for 64-bits OS but not for
  Linux/Intel. This prevented *many* vector programs to work (e.g.
  d.vect).

Many more fixes we could already apply but before publishing this
version a few things shall be finished.

The next GRASS 5 version will be *much* better, I am shure.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler