error in loading shared libraries

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Sep 20 11:36:27 EDT 1999

> I have this problem with the grass5-0beta3 binaries
> ans SuSe 6.0.
>
> Could anybody let me know what are the requirements in terms
> of shared libraries (and other components) that my box
> should conform  to in order for the binary version
> to work?
>
> Note that the www page
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/linux/REQUIREMENTS.linux
> just states:
>
> "REQUIREMENTS to run GRASS GIS on Linux/Intel
>
> A workstation running some flavor with Linux.  Ideally,
> you should have at least 500 Mb for data and 32 Mb RAM."
>
> and http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/linux/ says:
>
> "It was precompiled on Linux based on libc.so.6 aka glibc2
> (Redhat 5.x/6.x, SuSe 6.x, Debian 2.x...)"

Hi all,

sorry for this problem! The provided Linux/Intel binaries
were compiled on SuSe6.2 (based on glibc2.1, Kernel 2.2.10).
It seems that Suse 6.0/6.1 was based on a former version of
glibc.

If using a Linux based on glibc2.0 you get the error
GRASS:~ > d.mon start=x0
d.mon: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: __bzero

This glibc2.1 obviously has introduced the new symbol "__bzero".

Solutions:
  - one of you provide a GRASS 5 based on glibc2.0 (SuSe 6.0) and
    I store it on the GRASS web server for GRASS community
  - you get the source code and compile GRASS locally. Quite easy!

Best regards

  Markus Neteler