Box Counting Method and r.le

William L. Baker BakerWL at UWYO.EDU
Thu Sep 23 13:22:45 EDT 1999

Hello,

Regarding r.le...First, I have not been able to keep
up with revisions to r.le recently, and I apologize for
this, but do not have an immediate solution.  Second,
r.le does not have a box-counting algorithm for calculating
fractal dimension of images.  There are reasons to worry
that fractal dimension is not a good measure to use with
images (see Frohn, Robert C. 1998.  Remote sensing for
landscape ecology: new metric indicators for monitoring,
modeling, and assessment of ecosystems. Lewis Publishers,
Boca Raton, Florida).  However, a program that is aimed
more specifically at remote sensing imagery, and I think
does include fractal dimension using box counts is called
ICAMS, and is by Dale Quatrocchi (spelling?).  Not sure
where to get it, but it's out there somewhere.

In general, if you are having problems with r.le there are
instructions in the documentation about how to report them.
Most useful to me is to know details of your platform, the
maps used, and especially whether you observe any warnings
or errors during compilation.  I will try to help as I can,
but have limited time at the moment.

Bill Baker
University of Wyoming
BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU