s.vol.rst - precip interpolation ?

Chris Kilsby c.g.kilsby at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 08:26:34 EDT 2000

Hi

I am looking into means of generating rainfall (raster) maps from
site data, and am aware of the basic methods of interpolation
supported by GRASS such as s.surf.idw and s.surf.tps (now
s.surf.rst I believe). What I really want however is to interpolate
using elevation as an independent variable. A suitable method is
that of Hutchinson, implemented  in ANUSPLIN ( a commercial
package)  using thin plate splines.

Does anyone know of a GRASS package or freely available code
which can do this ? I guess that s.vol.rst (referred to in the GRASS
web pages) would do the job, but has not yet been  implemented.

Any info gratefully received, before I re-invent the wheel.

regards, Chris

Chris Kilsby   Lecturer in Hydrology
Water Resource Systems Research Laboratory
Dept of Civil Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU    United Kingdom
Tel + 191-222-5614  Fax + 191-222-6669
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/c.g.kilsby