Models with GRASS

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 14 17:16:05 EST 2000

  I see that there are choices for hydrologic and erosion models
incorporated within GRASS. From the descriptions, I learn that most of the
erosion models (and many of the runoff models) were developed in
agricultural areas for agricultural drainages and situations. We don't work
with agricultural clients, so I'm looking for insight on which models would
be best for us to learn and use.

  The SWAT model looks like a keeper. It handles large areas and long time
periods. I can see a number of applications with large mine permitting,
compliance monitoring and reclamation for this model. It will model both
water and erosion potential.

  But, we also have a need for a runoff model for discrete events (say, a
24-hour, 10-year storm event). Such a storm event is appropriate for the
high desert and Great Basin geographic regions, but not for the temperate
rain forest found west of the Cascade mountains in the upper left corner of
the US. For this area (where a "storm event" can last a week or two) we need
both a discrete-event model (to satisfy regulatory agency requirements) and
a continuous-event model on a fine scale to satisfy mine planning
requirements. We also need a sediment transport model for rivers and streams
to complement the erosion models for the upland portions of the drainage
basin.

  I'd like to hear from those of you with experience on these models and any
others that are not listed on the web site (e.g., groundwater, pollution,
animal population).

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com