Models with GRASS

Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Wed Mar 15 09:23:31 EST 2000

Hi Rich,

Yep, SWAT is the hands-down best hydrologic model out there.
(not that I'm biased or anything).  As you said, it handles watersheds
from field size up thousands of square miles.  It is our favorite here
because of its versatility.  We've used it for single events as well as
very long term simulations.  SWAT handles erosion and sediment transport,
nutrient transport as well as pesticide fate and crop growth. so it should
fit the bill for you.

While the model is ARS, we work closely with them and maintain
a comprehensive information/download site.  The address is:
http://www.baylor.edu/~cagsr/swat

When I was working on the HUMUS project, SWAT was used
to simulate the entire US in single model runs because it can handle
multiple basins along with the routing.  I think we validated the model
with an r^2 or .95.  So it's very reliable.  The GRASS GIS interface
makes model input development very easy.

Feel free to shoot me any questions you may have.

Bruce

--
Bruce Byars
GRASS Dev. Team