[GRASSLIST:1123] Advise for first program in c

David Finlayson david_finlayson at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 01:26:25 EST 2000

Grass users,

I am interested in trying to build a C program that
accesses GRASS and have a few questions (I'm not a
programmer).

I am interesting in writing a routine that traces the
profile of a river and builds an ascii table of x,y
coordinate pairs and columns of values associated with
user-supplied list of rasters.  The idea is to trace a
river profile and dump out the associated variables
for each pixel on the river, say manning's n,
elevation, width, slope etc... Really though, it is
just a simple program to try in C.

First, do I need to have a full copy of the source
code for GRASS or can I work with a binary only
version and just link against the libraries I need
mentioned in the programmers manual?  (I've never used
make before either so I don't understand that yet
either)

Any first time advise would be appreciated.

=====
--
David Finlayson
david_finlayson at yahoo.com