[GRASSLIST:2810] NVIZ problems on Mac OSX

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 20 16:29:39 EST 2001

I am unable to get NVIZ to start successfully. Starting from the
tcltk menu, I get an error message "<el=surface> is ambiguous". I
assume this is an error in the tcltkgrass script, that NVIZ is
looking for "elevation=surface" while the script is sending
"el=surface". So I tried the simplest method I could: running nviz -x
from the command line. This starts a bunch of windows, and then fails
with errors:

Adding panels from /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/scripts
Nv_(panels)
toplevel made
bgerror failed to handle background error.
     Original error: invalid command name "tkScreenChanged"
     Error in bgerror: invalid command name "bgerror"
info widget made
panel area made
file menu made
disabled made
Nv_mkPanelMenu 1
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 0
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 1
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 2
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 3
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 4
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 5
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 6
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 7
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 8
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 9
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 10
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 11
Nv_mkPanelMenu 2 12
scripting menu 0 made
scripting menu 1 made
scripting menu 2 made
scripting menu 3 made
scripting menu 4 made
scripting menu 5 made
scripting menu 6 made
scripting menu 7 made
scripting menu made
Error in startup script: invalid command name "tk_menuBar"
     while executing
"tk_menuBar $Nv_(AREA).menu $Nv_(AREA).menu.file
$Nv_(AREA).menu.panel  $Nv_(AREA).menu.scripting"
     (procedure "Nv_makeGUI" line 116)
     invoked from within
"Nv_makeGUI .top"
     (file "/usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script" line 644)

I'm running GRASS 5 pre2 under Mac OSX 10.1, using precompiled
binaries. I wondered whether it might be some oddness in my xwindows
software or my version of TclTk -- but using both Tenon's XTools and
XDarwin/XFree86, I get the same error. I then tried installing GRASS
from OpenOSX's CD, but got the same error again. Any thoughts would
be greatly appreciated.

Nick Cahill
University of Wisconsin-Madison