[GRASSLIST:1527] Re: r.in.tiff sefault

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Feb 27 20:52:22 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:46:48PM -0300, J. Simon Goodall wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Having problems with r.in.tiff, got the latest tiff libraries. latest
> grass5.0beta11 and when I run
>
> $r.in.tiff
> Segmentation fault
>
> Any ideas where the problem lies? via tktclgrass it doesn't work either
> ( with input output options). I'm really wanting r.in.arctiff, it does
> not seem to be around in 5.0beta11, has that been removed?

r.in.arctiff always just called r.in.tiff.  Handling of TIFF world files
was merged into r.in.tiff.  Unfortunately, r.in.tiff is quite buggy.  Am
I understanding that it is segfaulting immediately?  My experience has
been it only segfaults with certain types of TIFF files.  You may try
using r.in.gdal.  However, I haven't had good like with its handling of
the TIFF world files -- it seems to prefer GeoTIFF files that have
projection information encoded in their "directory".  It will still get
the file in, but without georeferencing info.  It's possibly to
calculate tie-points fairly easily for i.rectify from the TIFF world
file.  However, this is less than an ideal way...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>