[GRASSLIST:2070] Re: GRASS v ESRI

Richard Ford grass at cubok.com
Thu Jul 5 09:40:06 EDT 2001

Well I have a copy (Paid) of both arcview and arcIMS.

They are nice - but ArcIMS - is so inflexible and only runs on NT - which is
a dog of a server OS.

I am playing with grass as we speak in the next window and I am sorta
getting used to it - remember I am an IT guy and not a GIS dude.  :)

I can't therefore evaluate what is a good program for "Stage one" as you
say.

However I do know that I am reluctant to use IMS for stage 2.

So Map server it may well be.  How easy does map server work on shape files
and the data in them.

What we would be after would be changing stuff like rain level, drainage,
roads, crop planting, etc....

I have to have a demo of grass working by 9:30 am tomorrow, it is 11:38 pm
right now here in Sydney so I had better start working on the GRASS install
on the server.  I am looking forward to then playing with the tools everyone
has mentioned.

I know nothing about GIS - don't like the outdoors except for sport - but
this is such an exciting change from accountancy and e-comemrce software!

Cya,
Richard.