[GRASSLIST:2039] RE: GRASS on FreeBSD

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Jun 28 21:15:19 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:27:11AM +1000, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
> I'm certain that GRASS 5 has been ported to FreeBSD (though I'm not
> sure which actual release).  You should be able to find it in the
> FreeBSD ports collection - go to http://www.freebsd.org/ and follow
> the "Ported software" link.

GRASS 5.0 shouldn't need anything special to compile from sources on
FreeBSD (at least one developer uses FreeBSD exclusively).  I can't
answer the matter as to precompiled binaries.  You definitely don't want
any sources earlier than 5.0pre1 (all the beta[xx] versions).  If you're
going to build from sources, might as well grab a CVS snapshot (Markus
posts these weekly or so...) or use CVS directly to get the sources (use
the "april" release tagged version).

GRASS 4.x series is a bit funkier to compile.  Can't say much about it
since I haven't done that for near two years...

> You may also (haven't checked) find a binary package that can be
> installed with the pkg_add command.

Not that I'm aware of.  Mostly tarballs are distributed (and RPM's
occasionally).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>