[GRASSLIST:1587] Re: r.in.tiff 16 bit sample

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Mar 9 04:04:41 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 06:29:48PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 04:15:23PM -0500, John Preston wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am using r.in.tiff to import a 10km x 10km 1m satellite image into
> > GRASS, but it complains that it does not support the 16 bit sample. I am
> > using GRASS 4.3. Has this changed in 5.0, and if not does anybody know
> > how I can get around this problem.
>
> No, that limitation is still in GRASS 5.0 r.in.tiff code.  However, I
> don't know, but maybe r.in.gdal will handle this.  I know it has support
> for many more esoteric features (complex numbers for instance).  I'd
> assume the color rule would have to be grayscale/per band since GRASS's
> color rules won't allow 16bit/band values.

Hi,

from the r.in.gdal man page:

"Data Types

    Most GDAL data types are supported. Float32 and Float64 type bands are
    translated as GRASS floating point cells (but not double precision ...
    this could be added if needed), and most other types are translated as
    GRASS integer cells. This includes 16bit integer data sources. Complex
    (some SAR signal data formats) data bands are translated to two floating
    point cell layers (*.real and *.imaginary).
"
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/html/r.in.gdal.html

Does this answer the question?

Regards