[GRASSLIST:1681] Re: GRASS Cygwin Binary Installation problems.

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 28 19:06:49 EST 2001

Howard,

I see that Andreas has replied, but as he is busy perhaps I can help.
Note that Andreas is preparing a revised binary version, which he is
setting up to pretty much start up everything needed.  Hopefully this
will be ready in a few days.

I sounds like you are doing everything right, but there may be a missing
executable or its not executing properly.   Check to see if there is a
file called /usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd/g.gisenv  .   I can duplicate
your problem by moving this executable to another name.

If this program doesn't exist, then this is your problem.  I would
suggest that you might want to wait a couple of days for Andreas'
revised version and his revised instructions (actually only minor
install instruction changes - but as I said above, he has informed us
that the startup will be made easier).

If the program does exist, you can check it from a cygwin shell.  Test
it as follows:

Check to see if $HOME/.grassrc5 exists by typing 'ls -a $HOME' .  If
this shows that .grassrc5 exists (it should exist because Init.sh exited
after the place it creates this),  then do:

export GISBASE=/usr/local/grass5
export GISRC=$HOME/.grassrc5
/usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd/g.gisenv

This should tell you what the variables GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME and
MAPSET are defined as.  If you get anything different let us know.

Malcolm