[GRASSLIST:1684] Re: GRASS Cygwin Binary Installation problems.

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 15:26:32 EST 2001

Howard Tan wrote:

> I looked in '/usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd/'. The directory was completely
> empty.

The installation is completely screwed, then. All of the actual
programs live in there (371 files, for me). The stuff in grass5/bin
(on a Unix sytem these are just hard links to grass5/etc/front.end),
just invokes the corresponding program in grass5/etc/bin/cmd or
grass5/etc/bin/inter as appropriate.

> I found I had a copy of g.gisenv in 'd:\cygwin\usr\local\grass5\bin'.
> I copied the file to '/usr/local/grass5/etc/bin/cmd/'. I tried to start
> grass, and I got past the first screen, and where it normally coughs out, it
> clear the screen and start to do something on the harddrive. I waited for
> about 5 minutes and it didn't finish. I got impatient and closed the window.
>
> I then proceeded to run through the steps you illustrated... After it runs
> for about 30 minutes I got the following error:
>
> 'd:\cygwin\usr\local\grass5\etc\bin\cmd\g.gisenv: *** couldn't commit memory
> for cygwin heap, Win32 error 487'

Yep. grass5/bin/g.gisenv just invokes grass5/etc/bin/cmd/g.gisenv,
which should be the actual program, but in your case it's just a copy
of grass5/bin/g.gisenv, resulting in infinite regression.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>