[GRASSLIST:1825] Re: ALPHA64 Vectors (DEC Unix)?

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Thu May 10 06:44:13 EDT 2001

Hi Lawrence,

i compiled GRASS5.0beta12 from the CVS on FreeBSD 4.2 on Alpha AXP some
time ago.

The current vector library is not 64-bit ready. You can create _new_
vector maps on 64bit machines and read them, but you can not read vector
maps created on 32bit machines (like all sample data). The raster format
is interchangeable between 32bit and 64bit (as it uses xdr).

Apart from that i noticed no problems, but i did not very much testing.
I think that for GRASS 4.x you are out of luck, switch to GRASS 5. IMHO
full 64bit support for vectors is on the way for GRASS 5.1. For DEC Unix
i can not recommend anything, do you have a compiler and the GNU tools
for DEC Unix? If not, with Linux for AXP GRASS should compile out of the
box.

HTH,

Andreas

Lawrence Houston wrote:

> GRASS List:
>
> Having difficulty locating "current" information with respect to GRASS 4.3
> & 5.0 Beta's support for Vector Files on the ALPHA 64-Bit Platform
> (presently the "older" DEC Unix 4.0c).  Bill Hughes's Web Site mentioned
> in the README.alpha64 no longer contains any relevant information!
> Todate we have been using James Ganong's AXP 0.7 (4.1.5), but James's
> references are also no longer "active"!
>
> Under 4.1.5 (AXP 0.7) v.to.rast in some cases it fails to generate the
> "correct" Raster Image, displaying several messages as follows:
>
>      WARNING: Calling G_set_window() in the middle of writing map
>
> Under 5.0 Beta 11 v.to.rast will NOT even start, instead it displaying the
> following message:

>      Data file has been modified.  You MUST first run 'v.support'
>
> Which running v.support does NOT correct!

> I have seen mention of GRASS5 supporting Alpha/Linux, would upgrading to a
> Alpha/Linux Distribution such as Red Hat 6.2 (or even Compaq's Tru64 UNIX)
> provide a better platform for GRASS???
>
> Lawrence Houston  -  (grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca)

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net