[GRASSLIST:1848] Re: Grass5 Startup

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 16 09:56:22 EDT 2001

Kirk Schmidt wrote:

> I have run into a slight glitch with tcltkgrass.  I am using Grass5 and
> I was attempting to have d.mon startup as a preference when tcltkgrass
> is started.
> Unfortunately, I did this two or three weeks ago and therefore I cannot
> recall the exact steps I followed.
>
> Now when I activate tcltkgrass, I get an automatic d.mon upon startup
> and a display window (x0), however, the Main menu is missing.
>
> There is a d.mon error due to the number of colors available but this
> has not been a problem in the past.

Maybe there were sufficient colours available in the past. Quit any
colourmap-hungry programs (Netscape in particular) and try again.

> Is there a way to reset the
> defaults so that the menu starts up again?  I assume a variable is
> stored in a file somewhere (maybe xdriver?).

There is no config file for XDRIVER.

One thing which you neglect to mention: which version of GRASS 5 are
you using? GRASS 5 is still under development; we need to know the
snapshot date.

If you're using a recent snapshot (after Apr 21), note that XDRIVER
has been undergoing significant changes recently.