[GRASSLIST:2693] Re: ftp://grass.baylor.edu is down ?

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Nov 26 22:09:49 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:37:59 -0500 (EST)
Allen Wilkinson <aw at apk.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been trying to FTP to   grass.baylor.edu  since Satruday Nov. 24.
>
> But the connection continues to time out. Is something broken?
>
> I want to download GRASS 5.x

Yes, it appears to be unresponsive.  My personal suggestion regarding
5.x is to use cvs to grab the current data.

  $ export CVSROOT=:pserver:grass-guest at intevation.de:/home/grass/grassrepository
  $ cvs login
  login: grass
  $ cvs -z3 co grass -r releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0 grass

Wait a long time... then...
  $ cd grass
  $ ./configure [--help]
  $ make
  $ make install

If you use CVS be sure to use the release branch tag or you will get some old,
broken, outdated sources.

There are also linux CVS snapshots, but you may encounter dependency problems
with shared libes... http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/snapshot/

There's also the last "release" (...pre2) also available from grass.itc.it.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>