[GRASSLIST:2378] problems with nviz and the tcl/tk 8.3 libraries

Ivan Kautter ivankautter at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 2 18:21:01 EDT 2001

Hello fellow listserv members,

Thanks for everyone's help regarding install the ncurses libraries but now a
new problem has cropped up.  I tried to run nviz and I received this error
message:

usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2: error in loading shared libraries:
libtk8.3.so.1: cannot open shared object file:  No such file or
directory................

So after indeed identifying that I needed to update my tcl/tk libraries,
with some tribulation I did so and attempted to make sure that the newly
installed files are within my path.  Upon typing in nviz after all this, I
still get the same error message.  Did the redhat linux precompiled binaries
not include the most up to date tcl/tk libraries so that nviz would work?
If so, then why not?  Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong?
Indeed the file I have is not named libtk8.3.so.1.  It is libtk8.3.so.
Should that make a difference?

Again I am not very linux savvy so I might have easily done something wrong,
like failed to configure tcl/tk or wish after installation if that is
necessary in this case.  Any suggestions?  Thanks a bunch.

Ivan Kautter
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
UC Davis