[GRASSLIST:2430] Re: Import vector map problems

Daniel Tourde ted at foi.se
Mon Sep 17 02:59:36 EDT 2001

Hi Arne,

Thanks for your answer

> > dk_10gso.dbf  dk_10gso.sbn  dk_10gso.sbx  dk_10gso.shp  dk_10gso.shx
>
> These files all belong to one .shp ! So the only one to import is
> dk_10gso.shp, the rest contains parts and will be used by GRASS during import
> (as far as I know).

Well, this is what I did. I just imported the .shp file as an ESRI
shapefile.

> If I understand right your .shp contains more then just
> one feature (e.g. contours, roads, etc.). GRASS only stores one attribute per
> feature  (Markus, correct me if I am wrong), so you first have to split your
> .shp's in ArcView.

Here I do not really understand.
For the moment, when I want to display the map I have imported, I only
get a black window with some contours in white. I am expecting however
to see forests, roads, lakes, cities...
How can I achieve this result?

I don't have ArcView, does it mean that for the moment, Grass5 is
unuseful for me?

> Other then that the import works fine, but beware of large
> files! I have 512MB in my machine and ran out of memmory.... In that case
> .e00 is the better format.

Well, I only have .shp (and friends) files and the basic idea is to use
Grass5 as a format converter....

		Daniel

Daniel TOURDE                             E-mail : daniel.tourde at foi.se
                                             Tel : +46 (0)8-55 50 43 44
                                        Cellular :  +46 (0)70-849 93 40
   FOI, Swedish Defence Research Agency; Aeronautics Division - FFA
       Dept. of Wind Energy and Aviation Environmental Research
SE-172 90 Stockholm, Sweden                     Fax : +46 (0)8-25 34 81