[GRASSLIST:2434] Re: Import vector map problems

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Sep 17 08:57:29 EDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 08:59:36AM +0200, Daniel Tourde wrote:
> Hi Arne,
>
> Thanks for your answer
>

> > > dk_10gso.dbf  dk_10gso.sbn  dk_10gso.sbx  dk_10gso.shp  dk_10gso.shx
> >
> > These files all belong to one .shp ! So the only one to import is
> > dk_10gso.shp, the rest contains parts and will be used by GRASS during import
> > (as far as I know).
>
> Well, this is what I did. I just imported the .shp file as an ESRI
> shapefile.
>

> > If I understand right your .shp contains more then just
> > one feature (e.g. contours, roads, etc.). GRASS only stores one attribute per
> > feature  (Markus, correct me if I am wrong), so you first have to split your
> > .shp's in ArcView.
>
> Here I do not really understand.
> For the moment, when I want to display the map I have imported, I only
> get a black window with some contours in white. I am expecting however
> to see forests, roads, lakes, cities...
> How can I achieve this result?

The v.in.shape offers a "-l" flag to look at the table entries of the
.dbf file. With "attribute", "label" parameters you can select
the column of interest. No extra ARCView work is required.

> I don't have ArcView, does it mean that for the moment, Grass5 is
> unuseful for me?
>

> > Other then that the import works fine, but beware of large
> > files! I have 512MB in my machine and ran out of memmory.... In that case
> > .e00 is the better format.
>
> Well, I only have .shp (and friends) files and the basic idea is to use
> Grass5 as a format converter....

For the GRASS 5.1 we hope to have vector segmentation which will speed
up the topology processing. Stay tuned :-)

Markus