[GRASSLIST:3543] Re: import data tutorial

H. ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 02:20:43 EDT 2002

--- Luis E Menoyo <lemenoyo at usgs.gov> wrote:
> Is there any GRASS 5 tutorials that provide step by step instructions on
> how to import data?

Try an "Introduction to GRASS GIS software" by Markus Neteler:
http://grass.itc.it/gdp/neteler/manual98.html (pdf version there too)

It's a tad bit out of date but does what your're asking. (only thing that
threw me was in section IV 2.1: s.surf.tps is now s.surf.rst)
The example given is how to export out of ARC and load that into GRASS.
With v.in.shape, r.in.arc and m.in.e00 it's pretty easy these days, but
it's a good fallback method.

> actualy getting non-GRASS data (DEMs, DRGs, DLGs, ARC coverages) into
> GRASS.

The Import menu on the Tcl/Tk graphics menu is pretty good for learning
what's there, and what format the import command should take.

'man' each of the functions listed in those menus would be a good start to
find out what each one is for as it isn't always obvious.. but the notes
in the man pages are very useful. For a start:

man v.import

best of luck.