[GRASSLIST:3587] Linux startx problem

Kirk Schmidt kirkschmidt at auracom.com
Thu Apr 25 23:55:37 EDT 2002

  Good Morning:

I have run into a Linux based snag that has stopped me cold.

I am running RH Linux 6.2 and I was ready to start up a Grass session
when I activated startx

the following message appeared after the process crashed:

Font Tran Socket Unix Connect: Can't connect: Errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error
could not open default font

I ran into a hardrive error and had to use fsck to fix up the drive.  I
assume I lost a connection to the font files startx is looking for.

I assume I will have to reinstall some portion of the original OS.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated

Kirk Schmidt
Nortek Resource Solutions Inc.
RR # 1
Thorburn, NS