[GRASSLIST:5136] Re: nviz and topographic map

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 2 19:35:49 EST 2002

Johannes Bühler wrote:

> i intent to visualize a topographic map on a elevation modell in nviz using
> grass 5.0.0. after importing and georefernzing my tif file (8 bit)
> (= topographical map) i opened the nviz tool. Showing the elevation model
> is great but when i changed to parameter color to the topographic map i
> only get a very bad image (see attachment). I guess it might be a
> resolution problem, but i dont know how to solve it. i already changed the
> resolution of the current region and both raster files using g.region and
> r.resample but nothing changed.
> Any hints to solve this problem?

If you're referring to the blurring, then it's a resolution issue. Did
you restart NVIZ after increasing the resolution? Also, check that the
"Polygon resolution" (in the "Surfaces" panel) is set to "1".

You can disable the Gouraud shading by choosing "Flat" (in the
surfaces panel), but you will get parallelograms rather than tiles
(NVIZ splits each quad into two triangles and, when using flat
shading, picks a different vertex for each triangle; that should
probably be reported as a bug).