[GRASSLIST:2867] Re: r.in.hdf with ASTER imagery

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Jan 6 06:27:17 EST 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:12:22PM +0200, Henk Coetzee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have just tried to read an ASTER image into grass5, and discovered
> that r.in.hdf is not implemented in grass5. Do I need to install grass4
> as well to do this. Also, will r.in.hdf be able to read the 16-bit
> thermal bands from the hdf file.
>
> Cheers
>
> Henk Coetzee

Hi Henk,

sorry, to say, but I am rather sure that r.in.hdf doesn't read ASTER.
ASTER is in HDF-EOS while r.in.hdf is supporting HDF3.2.
Unless GDAL get's extended or r.in.hdf updated to the current HDF/HDF-EOS
library there is no way (please tell me if I am wrong).

But two converters are available: HDFLook
http://www-loa.univ-lille1.fr/Hdflook/hdflook_gb.html
 and HDF2bin
http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/library/software/

Both programs allow to convert a HDF-EOS dataset such as ASTER/TERRA to a
plain binary format which can be imported with r.in.bin.

I had success like that (GRASS 5).

Best regards

 Markus Neteler