[GRASSLIST:3363] Re: A question about labeling.

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Sun Mar 24 10:57:18 EST 2002

On Sunday 24 March 2002 06:29, Ben Logan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question is regarding the positioning of labels.  Once I have
> labels attached to a vector map, do I have to position each one
> manually?

I wasn't aware of any way to attach labels to vectors so that they would need
to be positioned.  How are you doing that?  The process of "labeling" a
vector object in GRASS generally just means assigning the vector class an
attribute text.  You can read the label when you query an object, but it
isn't otherwise displayed.

You can place text on a map using the paint commands or with ps.map.  In
either case the labels are not attached to an object and they must be
positioned manually.  If you want to warp text around a curve then you would
have to place each character separately.

Roger Miller