[GRASSLIST:3745] Re: d.zoom question

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri May 24 11:55:14 EDT 2002

On Friday 24 May 2002 05:01 pm, H. Bowman wrote:
> Steps:
> Imported .shp files into grass vector files with v.in.shape.
> g.region -d
> d.vect coastline_chch
> d.zoom
> upon zooming in, the display goes blank (most times).

Probably bug in d.vect, it is OK if I run v.support for coastline_chch before.

> at this point:
>    -zooming back out gets you back to a plot. (sometimes not until second
> button-2 click)
>      (may be nothing, but it gives a message about limit of default region
> reached,

It is OK, it is just warning for user.

>       also got it to complain about needing to reset the resolution once,

Again, should be OK if selected window was smaller than resolution.

> needed to restart x0)

XDRIVER crashed? Or why/how restart?

>    -zooming in just gives further blank screens
>    -quiting: if you quit with the screen blanked, and try running d.zoom
> again,
>       it starts up in interactive mode asking for a mandatory raster file.
> Need to
>       d.erase before you can d.vect again and have anything actually show
> up and zoom again.      If you zoom out and quit with a plot up, you can
> continue plot/zoom..

Seems that maps without topology (v.support not run, level 1) are not added
to the list of xdriver commands by d.vect. Quick solution for you is to
run v.support on that files.

Radim