[GRASSLIST:6079] Getting started with postgresql and GRASS

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Thu Apr 17 17:46:41 EDT 2003

I have both postgresql and GRASS working on my linux box.
I can use psql to create, query, delete, etc. postgresql databases.
But so far I cannot get GRASS to talk to postgresql.

I tried the following according to the first-steps tutorial
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/src.garden/grass.postgresql/tutorial/index.html

GRASS:~ > g.select.pg -l
g.select.pg: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I then tried without success:
 export POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib

I will be grateful for guidance.

Here is some info about GRASS and postgresql on my system:
GRASS:~ > g.version
GRASS 5.0.0 (August 2002)

GRASS:~ > locate libpq.so
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3.0
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so

GRASS:~ > ps -ax | grep postmaster
18820 pts/2    S      0:00 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/d

Best regards,

Michael Ash

Michael Ash, Assistant Professor
  of Economics and Public Policy