[GRASSLIST:996] Re: gdal lib installation problem

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 22 09:44:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:28:01PM +0400, Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:23:05PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> > > For those building GRASS binary distributions I would encourage you to
> > > build in a broad a set of optional GDAL formats as possible, including
> > > stuff like hdf, jpeg2000 (via jasper) and so forth.
> >
> > Is it "JasPer Software License" GPL compatible?
>
> It is BSD-like license with the special clause to protect authors against
> patent holders. HDF library has BSD-like license too.

No. Japser is non-free Software.
E.G. see some of the discussion at debian:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2003/debian-wnpp-200302/msg00540.html

> GIF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG libraries --- all has BSD-like licenses.

> > Which GDAL/OGR drivers are GPL compatible/incompatible?
>
> I think the only problematic drivers are the ones, based on non-free
> third-party libraries. These are ECW, JPEG2000 (via Kakadu), MrSID.

Yes, the first question to ask would be which libraries are non-free.
The next question would be to see if they have fair Free Software licenses.

The GNU GPL license is a good license for GRASS because it already
requires us to check this avoiding traps that have hit GRASS hard
several times in its history.

For GDAL it might be interesting to support djvu as compared to dsdk.
http://djvu.sourceforge.net/licensing.html

	Bernhard