[GRASSLIST:997] Re: gdal lib installation problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 22 12:41:41 EDT 2003

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>>>Is it "JasPer Software License" GPL compatible?
>>
>>It is BSD-like license with the special clause to protect authors against
>>patent holders. HDF library has BSD-like license too.
>

> No. Japser is non-free Software.
> E.G. see some of the discussion at debian:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2003/debian-wnpp-200302/msg00540.html

Bernhard,

Good point.  I understand why JasPer has the license it does, but this
does disqualify it as truely free software.  However, whether those
preparing GRASS binary releases want to include it or not would still seem
to be open.

> For GDAL it might be interesting to support djvu as compared to dsdk.
> http://djvu.sourceforge.net/licensing.html

My vague fear with Djvu has always been that it isn't compatible with modern
MrSID images, but from a brief review of the web page it seems that this might
not be the case.

I will speak to Andrey about implementing a Djvu driver in GDAL.  Note that
work such as this that isn't funded by a client will take lower priority than
funded work, and I am basically paying for it out of my pocket.

Best regards,