[GRASSLIST:998] Re: gdal lib installation problem

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 22 13:08:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:41:41PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:28:01PM +0400, Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> >>On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:23:05PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:

> >No. Japser is non-free Software.
> >E.G. see some of the discussion at debian:
> >
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2003/debian-wnpp-200302/msg00540.html

> Good point.  I understand why JasPer has the license it does, but this
> does disqualify it as truely free software.

> However, whether those preparing GRASS binary releases
> want to include it or not would still seem to be open.

The problem with this is that they won't be able to give
the resulting binary (including Jasper) to anyone without loosing the
license to use the GNU GPL software that was used the derive the product.
(Which might not only be GRASS, but I didn't research that.)

> >For GDAL it might be interesting to support djvu as compared to dsdk.
> >http://djvu.sourceforge.net/licensing.html
>
> My vague fear with Djvu has always been that it isn't compatible with modern
> MrSID images, but from a brief review of the web page it seems
> that this might not be the case.
>
> I will speak to Andrey about implementing a Djvu driver in GDAL.  Note that
> work such as this that isn't funded by a client will take lower priority
> than funded work, and I am basically paying for it out of my pocket.

This is very understandable,
it is great that you are considering it.

	Bernhard