[GRASSLIST:1061] Re: r.in.gdal installation

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Aug 28 01:05:22 EDT 2003

Martin Wegmann wrote:

> quite a while ago I installed the source code of 5.0.2 but unfortunately
> without r.in.gdal. Now I want to install this module and followed the
> instruction on the grass site:

Note that r.in.gdal isn't optional; "make" will always attempt to
build it. By default, r.in.gdal will attempt to load the GDAL library
(libgdal) dynamically; libgdal doesn't have to be present in order to
compile r.in.gdal.

So, provided that you are using a platform which provides dlopen()
(e.g. Linux, Solaris, available as an add-on for MacOSX), and you
didn't use --with-gdal (which results in r.in.gdal linking directly to
libgdal), you should already have r.in.gdal; you just need to install
libgdal in a suitable location.

> Installing single modules from source:
>
> The "configure" process creates two scripts (after "make install"
> these scripts will be stored in /usr/local/bin/ if not having used
> configure's option "--with-bindir")
>
>    gmake5
>    gmake5 -i
>    gmakelinks5 -i
>
> Use script "gmake5" to compile single modules locally, run
> "gmakelinks5" afterwards to set internal links for the new module.
> The "-i" flag will install them into target directory, so that no
> further "make install" is required.
>

> but I get the following prompt
>
> oggi at wz3x64:/usr/local/bin> gmake5
> /usr/local/bin/gmake5: line 9:
> /home/oggi/GRASS/GRASS_502/grass5.0.2/src/CMD/generic/gmake.sh: No such file
> or directory
> oggi at wz3x64:/usr/local/bin>
>
> this folder has been deleted during my last clean-up session :-(  would this
> problem be solved if I download the source again and extract it in the same
> path? or did grass modify these files during installation?

In order for gmake5 to work, the GRASS source needs to be installed in
the directory referenced by the gmake5 script, and it needs to have
been configured and at least partially built.

> and when do I tell grass to install r.in.gdal?

The correct usage of gmake5 is to either specify the pathname to the
module's directory, relative to the top of the GRASS source tree, e.g.

	gmake5 -i src/raster/r.in.gdal

or to change to the module's directory and run gmake5 without a
pathname, e.g.

	cd /home/oggi/GRASS/GRASS_502/grass5.0.2/src/raster/r.in.gdal
	gmake5 -i