[GRASSLIST:1934] Re: importing e00 files in 5.7

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Dec 2 08:21:33 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 06:54:20PM -0500, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2003, at 8:31 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 01:11:31PM -0500, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
> >> Quick question: how do you import e00 data into a GRASS 5.7 database?
> >> dont see m.in.e00 in the list of commands anymore.
> >
> > You could try this
> > AVCIMPORT - Version 1.2.0 (2000-10-17)
> >      Convert an Arc/Info vector coverage from E00 to binary.
> >      Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, Daniel Morissette (danmo at videotron.ca)
> >      AVCE00 web page:  http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/
> >
> > Usage: avcimport <input_file> <coverage_path> [<coverage_type>]
> >
> >   <coverage_type> is either 'V7' (the default) to write a Unix V7.x
> > coverage,
> >                   or 'PC' to write a PC/Arc coverage.
> >

> > and then 'v.in.ogr'.
> >
> > Markus
>
> Thanks for the tip, but avcimport isnt very useful for coverages that
> arent very small. I get a memory allocation error with any of my .e00
> files. I think its a bit odd for m.in.e00 to be dropped from GRASS --

Odd... mmhhhh.

Basically GRASS lives as contributors are contributing.
We need a person to

- either enable OGR to read E00 ASCII format (most code is already
  there, see OGR bugtracker for exactly this request)
- port m.in.e00 to v.in.e00 in GRASS 5.7

Unless nobody is willing to upgrade m.in.e00, it's not available.

> almost every GIS coverage I've ever received from anyone is in this
> format.

Third you could ask them to deliver in a different format
already accepted by v.in.ogr.

> I guess I will be sticking with 5.0.2 for the time being.
>
> Cheers,
> C.
> --
> Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
> Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia

Markus

--
Markus Neteler     <neteler at itc.it>       http://mpa.itc.it