[GRASSLIST:1937] Re: importing e00 files in 5.7

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 09:00:26 EST 2003

>>Thanks for the tip, but avcimport isnt very useful for coverages that
>>arent very small. I get a memory allocation error with any of my .e00
>>files. I think its a bit odd for m.in.e00 to be dropped from GRASS --

Christopher,

Avcimport should *not* have problems with large files.  I would
encourage you to report problems with it, along with a pointer to
a file demonstrating the problem.

I have created a package for AVCE00 issues on maptools.org's bugzilla.
Use the following url to enter a bug report:

   http://bugzilla.maptools.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=AVCE00

Markus says:
> Odd... mmhhhh.
>
> Basically GRASS lives as contributors are contributing.
> We need a person to
>
> - either enable OGR to read E00 ASCII format (most code is already
>   there, see OGR bugtracker for exactly this request)

Adding E00 support built on the AVCE00 library likely wouldn't help
if the AVCIMPORT program isn't working for the dataset in question.  So
I think the first priority is to fix avcimport support for the problem
e00 file(s).

Best regards,