[GRASSLIST:2105] Re: How to enter coordinates on the DEFINE REGION screen

Maliheh malihehs at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 01:18:58 EST 2003

Hello list,

Sorry but I have a primary problem yet!

As I wrote it before, I know that at first we should create a xy location, and import a raster map, then transform it to a UTM location, so before use of i.target we should create another location, with UTM coordinate system. Am I right?

If yes, in this step I should create a new location:

DEFINE THE DEFAULT REGION

               ====== DEFAULT REGION ====

                |     NORTH EDGE: 35.73581      |

                |                                              |

WEST EDGE|                                             | EAST EDGE

51.40387    |                                             | 51.43422

                 |     SOUTH EDGE: 35.71539      |

                 ======================

           PROJECTION: 1 (UTM)                        ZONE: 0

                             GRID RESOLUTION

East-West:     0.0002042

North-South:   0.0003035

Then it asks me:

à Do you wish to specify a geodetic datum for this location?(y/n) [y]

but my map is a jpg file that I don’t know more detail about it, so I don’t know what should I write for this and next question:

à Please specify ellipsoid name

    Enter 'list' for the list of available ellipsoids

    Hit RETURN to cancel request

As a result at the end of creating new location, GRASS says:

à LOCATION <mtest3_1> created

     But the PROJECTION information files were not created!

     You must run g.setproj successfully before projection software will work

Would you please help me, I want to create my own location, and work on my maps?

Your response will be so appreciated.

Best Regards

Maliheh