[GRASSLIST:5439] Re: Compiling space

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Feb 1 17:24:09 EST 2003

Bill Sneed wrote:

> I have a laptop that I need GRASS5.0  on but it's a bit short of hard
> drive space.
>
> I have been able to use NFS and another much larger PC to run
> "configure" and
>   create a Makefile but I haven't figured out how to get "make" to run
> via NFS....
> do the actual building on the big machine and then do the install onto
> the laptop.
>
> If that's not possible is it possible to have the compiler run so that
> doesn't use so
> much space? I realize this may extend the time involved.

The easiest solution is to simply build everything on the larger
system, then copy the resulting installation across to the laptop.
Ideally, use "cp -a" (with GNU "cp") to preserve the hard links in
$GISBASE/bin; otherwise, you will need to rebuild that directory using
"gmakelinks5 -i" after copying.