[GRASSLIST:5539] Re: v.build problem?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Feb 13 12:03:51 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 February 2003 07:15 am, Brent Wood wrote:
> I have a site map containg a few hundred thousand points (& only
> points). I'm converting it to vector.
>
> Why does v.build require 40 odd minutes to run on a P4 2.4Ghz?
>
> It only uses 6% of system memory for the whole dataset, & I can't see what
> topology is required for a map with only point features.
>
> I know it will get there eventually, just wondering what my cpu is so
> busy doing?
>
> Is this worth a wish list/bug report?

GRASS 5.0 (v.support) I expect.
Each point is registered as node, then for each next point v.build searches
through all registered nodes if such coordinates are already registered -
it takes some time ~ f( "few hundred thousand" ^ 2 )

In 5.1 it is a bit better - 1m29.441s / 405410 lines(shapefile) / 1.5GHz

Radim