[GRASSLIST:5588] Re: GRASS 5.0.1 compilation issues

Wayne Gibson gibson at coas.oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 17 18:25:56 EST 2003

Great!  I'll replace that code.

I've been wrestling with compiling all day and have discovered a couple other
issues.

1) For some reason, when compiling the code in directory "r.tiff", the "jpeg"
lib is not included on the compile line.  I added "-ljpeg" in Gmakefile and it
appears to compile without errors.

2) When compiling the code in PNGdriver, there is a reference to "sun" and "cos"
which I'm sure are in libm.a.  Here I also changed the Gmakefile and added "-lm"
and the code now copiles without errors.

I don't know if these are accidental omissions or platform specific issues.

3) Compiling in src/general/init for "set_data"

ld: warning: symbol `numcodes' has differing sizes:
        (file /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so value=0xa0; file
/usr/lib/libtermlib.so value=0x88);
        /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so definition taken

This looks like a problem with set_data.  Which curses library should be used?
I find /usr/lib/libcurses and /usr/local/lib/libncurses.  I still get the error
message when starting grass:

	Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than "".

TERM is set to "xterm" ("echo $TERM" just prior to set_data in Init.sh)

4) In one of the email archives, there was a discussion about using fifos.
Should sockets be used in most cases?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne Gibson

>From: Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
>To: Wayne Gibson <gibson at coas.oregonstate.edu>
>Cc: grasslist at baylor.edu
>Subject: Re: [GRASSLIST:5585] Re: GRASS 5.0.1 compilation issues
>

>Wayne Gibson wrote:
>
>> Running d.where also had some troubles. When I issued the command,
>> an endless stream of coordinate were displayed until I made the 1st
>> mouse click. Then the command worked as it should (1 pair of
>> coordinates per mouse click).
>
>I've found the bug. FWIW, it occurs when an uninitialised variable
>happens to contain -1.
>
>You can obtain an updated version of the file from:
>
>http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass/src/display/devices/XDR
IVER/XDRIVER24/Get_w_pnt.c?rev=1.11&content-type=text/plain

>The file in question is:
>
>src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER24/Get_w_pnt.c
>
>--
>Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Wayne Gibson
Oregon State University