[GRASSLIST:5653] Re: Creating elevation from an Adobe Illustrator file

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 24 10:52:46 EST 2003

Yes, you can scan your map and trace the contours in Illustrator, and
then export that as a dxf file and import it into GRASS. You might need
to convert the dxf file (which is a text file) from Macintosh line
breaks to Unix line breaks before importing it into GRASS. Then you'd
want to rectify the vector file in GRASS, and attach values to the
contour lines using v.digit. V.digit has good facilities for labelling
contour lines.

You could also do it all in GRASS. You could scan your map, bring it
into GRASS as a raster (r.in.tif, for instance), rectify it
(i.rectify); then convert to a vector map within GRASS using r.thin,
r.line. Or you could trace it by hand within GRASS using v.digit; this
works well too. Illustrator has more editing tools and if you're
comfortable with it, that might be the better way to create the vectors
(I think i'd be more comfortable with it); but the GRASS tools are good
too.

Good luck,

Nick Cahill