[GRASSLIST:5659] Re: arrow keys not working

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Feb 24 16:29:01 EST 2003

Wayne Gibson wrote:

> I compared the libraries required by "set_data" in the 5.0.0 pre-compiled
> version and 5.0.1 that I compiled.  The pre-compiled uses both libncurses and
> libcurses while the version I compiled uses libncurses only.  It that what one
> should expect? (5.0.0 "set_data" works)

I've figured out what's happening.

Short version: add:

	#include "config.h"

to the top of src/libes/vask/V_init.c and re-compile (the problem is
in a library, so I suggest compiling from scratch).

Long version:

1. 5.0.0 didn't have the test for HAVE_KEYPAD; it always used
keypad(), which resulted in a compilation failure on systems where
the curses library didn't have the keypad() function.

2. 5.0.1 has the keypad() check in configure, and HAVE_KEYPAD in
src/include/config.h[.in], and the use of keypad() is conditionalised
upon HAVE_KEYPAD. Unfortunately, the source file neglected to actually
include config.h, so keypad() was never used and the cursor keys won't
work.

3. The problem is fixed in the current CVS versions (both HEAD and the
release branch from which 5.0.2 will be built); actually, the problem
had already been fixed in the CVS HEAD when 5.0.1 was released, but it
hadn't been merged into the release branch at that point.