[GRASSLIST:5689] Sorry, no access to <<PERMANENT>>.

Matt Doggett mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
Thu Feb 27 17:57:04 EST 2003

.bout ready to pull my hair out on this one.

Bottom line:  Why does grass deny access to *everyone* except the owner
of the PERMANENT mapset??

Background:

Trying to work with the demo data provided with GRASS (global and
spearfish).  The data are stored on my disk as follows

/home/grass_data

            |- global/

            |           |- PERMANENT/

            |           |- grasslinksX/          : other mapsets

            |- spearfish/

            |           |- PERMANENT/

            |           |- grasslinksX/          : other mapsets

User X installed the data so user X owns all the files that were placed
in the DATABASE (/home/grass_data).  User X wants to share his mapsets
with *everyone* so user X foolishly gives read/write access to the world
on every file in the database (chmod -R 777 /home/grass_data).

User Y would like to read the GRASS database setup by user X.  GRASS
*denys* access to user Y with the following message:

Sorry, no access to <<PERMANENT>>.

Mapsets in location <global>

----------------------

   grasslinks0            grasslinks1            grasslinks2

   grasslinks3            PERMANENT

note: you do not have access to any of these mapsets

----------------------

Hit RETURN -->

*No matter what* (yes I've tried g.access) GRASS will not allow anyone
but the owner to access PERMANENT.  This flies in the face of the
documentation.

Any comments on this behavior?

Md

PS.  Here's the kicker, in my scenario, user Y is ..root.  Hmmm, when
root can't do it, something's not right!!! (also tried others as "user
Y" and got the same thing).

PPS.  Same behavior in grass4.3 and grass5.0.1.

Matt Doggett

Spatial Climate Analysis Service

Oregon State University

316 Strand Ag Hall