[GRASSLIST:5697] Re: Sorry, no access to <<PERMANENT>>.

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Feb 28 01:51:24 EST 2003

Matt Doggett wrote:

> .bout ready to pull my hair out on this one.
>
> Bottom line:  Why does grass deny access to *everyone* except the owner
> of the PERMANENT mapset??

At the implementation level, the reason is:

	/****************************************************************
	* G__mapset_permissions (mapset)
	*
	* returns: 1 mapset exists, and user has permission
	*          0 mapset exists, BUT user denied permission
	*         -1 mapset does not exist
	****************************************************************/
	int G__mapset_permissions (char *mapset)
	{
	    char path[256];
	    struct stat info;

	    G__file_name (path,"","",mapset);

	    if (stat (path, &info) != 0)
		    return -1;

	    if (info.st_uid != getuid())
		    return 0;
	    if (info.st_uid != geteuid())
		    return 0;

	    return 1;
	}

At a design level, the reason is ... well, your guess is as probably
as good as anyone else's. Whoever originally implemented this
presumably had their reasons, but I doubt that any of the current
developers would be able to justify it.