[GRASSLIST:5259] Re: MrSID file import into GRASS and ... ?

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Thu Jan 2 09:03:21 EST 2003

Supposedly you can use the MrSID viewer to open each one of the sid files and then save it as a Tiff and then copy the sdw file to tfw or wld and end up with a Tiff with a world file.
If you decide to try doing that you may want to do a test first.
My direct experience was less than pleasing using the Linux MrSID viewer.
We were given some sid files from a neighboring county and from the original 0.5' pixel image the best we could get was 8' pixels because the viewer does not "export" the original image but rather appears to snap-shot the current screen view.
It is possible that other versions of the viewer (for different OS's) work differently, although it does not say that on the download site, so your mileage may vary.
HTH
Lowell

The following message was sent by Allen Wilkinson <aw at apk.net> on Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:21:22 -0500 (EST).