[GRASSLIST:667] Re: configure with postgres on OS X

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jul 9 09:39:50 EDT 2003

David Orme wrote:

> I'm trying to install GRASS 5.0.2 on OS X (10.2.6) with postgresql
> support and I can't figure out what the --with-postgres-libs argument
> is looking for.

It is typically the directory containing libpq (the PostgreSQL client
library), e.g. libpq.a or libpq.dylib.

> I've tried looking through the configure script but my
> shell programming isn't good enough to work it out.
>
> I've tried:
>
> ./configure --with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include
> --with-postgres-libs=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>
> and
>
> ./configure --with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include
> --with-postgres-libs=/usr/local/lib

These look normal, although I don't know where libpq is.

However, note that the configure check isn't "does this file exist?",
but "does linking against this library succeed?".

Even if the library is present and you provide the correct path, many
other factors could cause linking to fail. Look in the config.log
file, after the line:

configure:8974: checking for location of PostgreSQL library

Any error messages which result from linking should follow.