[GRASSLIST:819] Re: GRASS/SVG

Greg Sepesi sepesi at eduneer.com
Fri Jul 25 23:27:35 EDT 2003

> Subject: [GRASSLIST:806] Re: GRASS/SVG
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:23:41 -0500
> From: Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Perez <gacp at d-konstruktors.org>
> To: viktoras <viktorasn at netscape.net>
> CC: grasslist at baylor.edu
>
> viktoras escribiu:
>
> > Is there a module able to export GRASS vector files in SVG format ?
>
> I don't know of one, but that would SWELL!
>
> -Gustavo

In two or three weeks, I'll post the vector library I've been writing.
One of its functions is to create maps for Palm handhelds, even the
memory challenged Palm Zire (2 MB).  Because Bezier curves are sometimes
more efficient than Digital Line Graph (DLG) data, the vectory library
supports conversion from DLG map data to Bezier curves by using the
public domain source code from the "Graphics Gems" (ISBN 0-12-286166-3)
article "An Algorithm for Automatically Fitting Digitized Curves."  To
test this part of the vector library, I wrote code to dump the Bezier
curves and/or DLG map data to an Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file,
which I viewed with Adobe's free SVG viewer.  (I used GRASS 5.0.2
v.out.ascii for test input.)

Other functions presently implemented in the vector library are

1) priority first searches (e.g., breadth first, depth first, shortest
path, minimal spanning tree) for directed or bidirectional graph data,

2) R-tree.

Other functions planned for the vector library are

1) Voronoi diagram

2) map conflation.

- - -

Greg Sepesi